Welcome to Shared Services, our team uses a coordinated approach to delivering administrative and operational services across Lahey. Our Shared Services colleagues leverage resources across the organization to ensure we provide high-quality, high-value care to the communities we proudly serve. The Shared Services team includes colleagues who focus on business and network development, legal services, facilities and real estate, human resources, information technology, finance, philanthropy and marketing and communications.
About the Job
Under managerial oversight of the Department Director, and within regulatory requirements: the Manager, Billing and Collections Customer Service will manage all aspects of the Customer Service team. This includes managing the daily activities of PFS colleagues; including work schedules, adherence to Lahey and PFS policies, progressive discipline, meetings, work flow, procedures, productivity, quality of work, unit communications, competencies, training and overall performance of colleagues. With director oversight, the Manager sets, monitors and reports on work unit and individual colleague goals and objectives. The Manager must manage resources and work unit costs within the constraints of the cost center. The position is responsible for planning, reporting and overall performance of work units assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Manages colleagues to established standards for quality and quantity.
- Monitors phone activity and ensures low wait times and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees Lahey Financial Aid Application approval process, ensuring compliance with internal Financial Assistance Policy.
- Ensures constant compliance with internal Credit and Collection policy.
- Manages Early-Out Vendor(s) and drives performance initiatives to always maintain the highest customer satisfaction and standards in line with internal Customer Service teams.
- Manages Bad Debt Vendor(s) and drives performance initiatives to always maintain the highest customer satisfaction and standards in line with internal Customer Service teams.
- Works with the PB and HB Billing and AR Follow-up Teams for integrated solutions which might benefit patients.
- Maintains a team with the highest standards of phone etiquette and courtesy to our patients.
- Oversees team producing patient estimates through externally managed system and ensures compliance with 48 hour turnaround for production of accurate quote.
- Attends leadership meetings as system billing representation as requested.
- Communicate with multiple teams in order to manage client escalations. Also required to speak directly with patients regarding any escalated concerns.
- Foster a high morale, high performance environment focused on continuous improvements and business results.
- Manage supervisory teams to provide an exemplary customer service experience to callers by driving a customer centric attitude with clear expectations of quality and performance.
- Be an expert and coaching and developing employees at all levels within scope including direct report leadership and front-line staff.
- Manage a staff of supervisors and customer service representatives, create work schedules and cover hours of operations deemed appropriate by individual clients.
- Understand ACD phone operations and call center tools, such as progressive dialing applications and IVR.
- Hire, motivate, and reward staff for high performance, quality, and behavior; discipline as necessary.
- Analyze reports, understand trends, forecast changes and develop action plans in response.
- Participate or lead planning sessions to identify ways to improve overall operations.
- Collaborate with training to develop materials and tools for direct reports and front-line staff.
- Collaborate with other departments within the organization to achieve call center objectives, increase job sharing knowledge, and gain efficiencies of processes.
- Understand written communications from clients concerning the necessary operations of the department and changes that may need to be implemented.
- Ensures that colleagues successfully complete all required education and training programs.
- Completes performance evaluations and performance improvement plans for work unit colleagues.
- Creates and updates work unit procedures so that work is accomplished accurately and efficiently.
- Manages work unit schedules to meet operational requirements being fair to all colleagues.
- Manager ensures that one on one and work unit meetings with work unit colleagues are scheduled in accordance with Director Requirements.
- With guidance from HR and Director and within HR policy, the manager is to fairly manage human resource issues such as hiring and progressive discipline.
- Under Director guidance, the Manager sets and monitors individual and work unit goals and objectives.
- As required by Director, provides meaningful reporting on progress towards goals, work unit issues, productivity, quality indicators, work throughput, adjustments to changes, compliance with applicable regulation and health plan requirements, use of technology, employee issues and planning efforts.
- The manager works with colleagues and managers from other work units and departments to improve performance, problem solve and plan.
- Manages expenses to budget.
- Assist the Director with special projects as needed.
- Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Health Confidentiality policy.
- Incorporate Lahey Health Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities.
- Comply with all Lahey Health Policies.
- Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Health.
- Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor degree. In the absence of a Bachelor’s degree, 8 years of experience over and above the experience requirement listed below.
Experience: Five years’ experience in a Patient Financial Services organization. Three years supervisory experience in a Patient Financial Services organization, or four years in a Lead position within Patient Financial Services organization of similar size and scope.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) coding, billing and compliance requirements. Working knowledge of patient finanicial services activities including the HCPCS coding system, the ICD-9 coding system, revenue, claims, denials and collection practices. Must have a high level of analytical skill, process improvement abilities, problem solving skills and ability to manage a large work force within a large healthcare environment. Computer skills to include use of complex revenue cycle systems, Microsoft, and other basic computer skills are a requirement. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Presentation Skills required.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.